Monday, January 19, 2015

Sloppy Joe, slop, slop, sloppy joe.

Howdy!
Guess what! We are moving, again! Yeah, I know. Its been a few times. Husband got a new job, so now we get a new address. I type this when I could, nay should be packing. But I am kinda over packing at the mo. I sit in my living room that is filled with full boxes and empty ones that I told my husband to go trolling for this weekend. I'd rather have to many boxes than too few.
So, I thought I would post one last recipe from our current domicile. Its a super easy and simple one, and guess what else! I actually will eat this one. Wonder of wonders, it has happened.
Who doesn't like Sloppy Joes?
I did make some minor adjustments to the recipe. I will post it in its entirety, and I will tell you what I left out. It rhymes with Bunyan.

Ingredients:
1 pound lean ground beef, 1/4 cup chopped onion, 1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard, 3/4 cup ketchup, 3 teaspoons brown sugar, salt to taste, ground black pepper to taste

 

So, yeah I left out the onion and the bell pepper. I did say that I wanted to eat this, didn't I? If you feel inclined, include them. And I could totally be a spokes person for Kroger. I always by their stuff.


Since we are moving I thought I would take a picture of what I left in my utensil drawer. I do have a few large stirring spoons that I for some reason thought I would need. And an ice cream scoop. Lets be real, you always need an ice cream scoop on hand.

Directions:
In a medium skillet over medium heat, brown the ground beef, onion(if any), and green pepper(if any); drain off liquids.

Stir in the garlic powder, mustard, ketchup, and brown sugar; mix thoroughly. Reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.



Whoop, there it is.
I know what you are thinking, "Surely, you can't be serious?"
"I am serious, and don't call me Shirley."
Sorry, that quote was right there, I had to do it. Anyway, I digress.
It was very simple, and upon tasting(yes, again, I did eat it), I found it very good. It had just the right amount of everything. I even added some onion powder, since I had left the onions out.
I am sure there is a more flavorful Sloppy Joes recipe, but the reason I chose this one was simple. I had everything on hand. And it worked out well. Even if I did eat it in a hot dog bun since I forgot to take the hamburger buns outta the freezer. Same difference.

1 comment: