Thursday, April 19, 2012

Titles are Overrated.

Hi! Well here I am again. I don't have much commentary to add, except that I hate my camera. Thank goodness these are small pictures! Its not really my camera. My husband bought it before we were married, like 6 years ago. I have never liked it. No matter what all the pictures are fuzzy and out of focus. Oh well. What can I do? On with the recipe!
Beef Broccoli Supper

Ingredients:
3/4 cup uncooked long grain rice, 1 lb lean ground beef, 1 1/2 cups fresh broccoli florets, 1 can condensed broccoli cheese soup undiluted, 1/2 cup milk, 1 tsp salt free seasoning blend, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs, 2 Tbsp melted butter
For the salt free seasoning blend I just used Italian seasoning. The bread crumbs were roasted garlic seasoned. I was gonna get just regular, but my husband is all about flavors. He insisted on it. And I like to make him happy. :)


Directions:
Cook rice according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.


So I didn't really know how to cook 3/4 cup rice. The package only gives directions for a cup. And I know, from watching Chopped, that rice is super hard to cook. I just guessed. I put enough water in to cover it a little and just hoped for the best.


I had a few broccoli heads(is that what they are called?)and just plucked off enough florets until I had my desired amount.


Cute, huh? I thought so.




Add the rice, broccoli, soup, milk, seasoning blend, salt, and pepper. Stir until combined. Transfer to a greased 2 qt baking dish.

Blech. It smelt as bad as it looked too.

So my rice. Yeah, it got a bit crispy on the bottom. But the top was nice. And since it was going into a casserole and not just by itself I used it. Stirred it up a bit and you could hardly tell. And my husband didn't say anything about crunchy rice so I think it was fine.






Toss bread crumbs with butter; sprinkle over beef mix. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake 5-10 minutes longer or until heated through.











There ya go! The finished product. I thought uncovering and cooking it for another 5 minutes wasn't really necassary. It did keep it warm though. But I think I could skip that next time. My husband liked it a lot. He ate a plate of it even though he said he wasn't really that hungry. I make him eat it right away so I can ask him how it was. Its not that same if he has it reheated a day later. I would not eat this(surprised?). I like raw broccoli but cooked is gross. And so was the soup! Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment