Wednesday, April 11, 2012

What's in a Name?

Hiya! Yes, I do realize it has been awhile. Well I must admit I have had a super lack of interest in doing things in general. Had a slump, and it usually comes every month. Like clockwork, like some sort of cycle.
Well since that slump only lasts 4 - 7 days, what accounts for the rest of the time? Who knows! Just accept the fact that I don't post at regular intervals.
So whats the recipe? A bit different one for me. I actually ate this!
Whole Wheat Dinner Rolls
I got this recipe from my taste of home cook book. Not the casserole one. My husband wanted to have a side for his lunches, and he suggested I make some rolls. I have never made bread of any type before this so I was a bit wary. I think it turned out rather well though.
I was going to name this blog post, Wesley Crusher, after Will Wheaton's character on Star Trek The Next Generation. But I figured that was a bit far off. On with the recipe!

Ingredients:
2 packages(1/4 oz each) active dry yeast, 2 1/4 cups warm water (110 degrees), 1/2 cup plus 1 Tbsp sugar, 1/4 cup shortening, 2 tsps salt, 2 eggs, 3 cups whole wheat flour, 3 1/2 to 4 cups all purpose flour, 1/4 cup melted butter

Directions:
In a large bowl dissolve yeast in warm water.


At first I was worried that the hot water from the tap wouldn't be hot enough, but it worked fine! Just needed to make sure that the faucet was all the way to the left.






Add sugar, shortening, salt, eggs, and whole wheat flour. Beat until smooth.




"Who love ya, baby?"...Get it, Kojak? He is bald. Smooth head. Smooth dough? Yeah, it was a stretch.




Stir in enough of the all purpose flour to form a soft dough.



Ok, so talk about super vague instruction. Add enough until its done, was basically what it said. Since I had never made rolls, I had no idea what consistency it was supposed to have. So I ended up usuing all of the flour, plus a whee bit more. I think the altitude messed with me a bit too.






Turn onto floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes.







I have no idea how to knead dough, really. What I know I learned from movies and stuff. So I just winged it, but I think I got it.




Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled. About an hour.






I was super dubious of whether or not this dough would rise. Who knows what I did wrong, ya know? But it worked! I lifted the bowl and squeled in delight. It worked!



Punch dough down(really fun). Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 4 pieces. Shaped each into 12 balls. Place 1 inch apart on greased baking sheets. Cover; let rise about 25 minutes.


Aren't they cute?






Bake at 375 degrees for 11 - 15 minutes or until browned. Remove from pans to wire racks. Brush with melted butter. Serve warm.






How do those look? Super good right? I tried one, and it was fine. Not a huge fan of whole wheat. A friend came over when they were done and she tried one for me and said they were really good! And my husband said they were very moist and tasted great. Mission accomplished. Well I've got a super bad head ache, and I think its stress related. I am freaking out hopeing the Penguins beat the stupid Flyers in game 1 of the playoffs. Gotta go listen. Have a good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment