Monday, November 21, 2011

Say Cheese!

Hello again people! Lets get right to it, shall we?
"Cheesy Cornbread Casserole"
I got it from allrecipes.com but it was a Kraft sponsored recipe so it asks for some name brand stuff. But you can always use whatever brand you want.


Ingredients:

1 lb lean bround beef, 1 chopped onion, 1 seeded, chopped jalapeno pepper, 1 (15 oz) can enchilada sauce, 1 (15 oz) can black beans, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp ground cumin, 1 (8.5 oz) package corn muffin mix, 1 (8 oz) package Kraft Mexican Stle Shredded 4 Cheese with a touch of Philadelphia

As you can see I bought the Kraft cheese. I thought, why not? I sampled a bit before adding it to the recipe and honestly, saw now difference between it and other cheese. Next time, its store brand cheese for me!


Directions:

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Brown meat with onion and pepper in large skillet.

In the past, I have tried rather unsuccessfully to mince onions. Thankfully when I was making this I remembered one of my latest Pampered Chef purchases. Its a Manual Food Processor. I chopped the onion and pepper into small chunks and tossed them in. Then I put the lid on a pumped the handle so the blades moved. And it worked fabulously!


Obviously, whenever a recipe asks for minced veggies, I am using this wonderful gadget!


Stir in next 4 ingredients; cook and stir for 3 minutes, or heated through. Spoon into 13x9 inch baking dish.
Prepare muffin batter as directed on package; stir in cheese. Spread over meat mix.

You are probably wondering why I have added this pic? Well the Jiffy mix I bought called for and egg. I looked in the fridge, pulled out what I thought was a egg carton with several eggs in it. Opened it to find this. I called my wonderful husband and asked, "Did you put a bunch of empty eggshells in the fridge?"
"...Yeah."
"Why?"
"....I don't know."
Counting to 10, I then calmly asked him to pick up eggs on his way home from work and I left the meat mix in the skillet on low so it wouldn't get cold. And when he got home, I continued.





Bake for 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of cornbread topping comes out clean. Cool slightly.


And its done! The husband really liked, but we both agree next time I will double the recipe. When it was done it was really thin. And the cornbread topping hardly covered the top. The only thing I won't double is the onion. It called for an entire chopped onion, but I only used half of one and it was just fine, and I think it would be great in a double batch for just a hint of onion and the jalapeno. And before you ask, no I did not eat this.
I leave you with my kitchen companion: Rufus



No comments:

Post a Comment