Sunday, September 22, 2013

Quiche Sans Crust

Yes, I did have my baby. An adorable little girl! Whom my darling husband is watching at the moment while I type this up.
I don't get much time nowadays to do much, let alone cook. Usually if I have a free moment I sleep. Glorious sleep, how I miss thee. I don't think I will ever get the chance to sleep in again. Oh well, trade off is pretty good. No sleeping in, but I do get a daughter.
So here is my first recipe since motherhood!
Oh yeah, and we moved AGAIN. I do enjoy this new place, its not a basement, in fact its the third floor. No more subterranean dwelling for us.
And please excuse me if my wit and candor are not as rapier as usual. I am a little sleep deprived.
On with the recipe!
Crustless Quiche
I got this recipe from my mother-in-law who is on a low carb diet. She says quiche is better with crust, but this isn't half bad. I wouldn't know. I won't eat it. Blech. But that shouldn't deter anyone else. I won't eat for the eggs or onions. I am sure its just fine otherwise. Also the ingredient list she gave me was from memory and open to much interpretations. This is a great recipe to make with whatever preferences you have.

Ingredients:
6 oz frozen spinach(I got a 12 oz bag, so I used half and have more for another recipe)1/2 cup frozen onion(or more or less depending on what you like)2 cups chopped veggies(anything you want really, I used broccoli and zucchini for this one. I like yellow squash too, but that went bad before I could use it)1/2 cup chopped Ham(or more, or less, or even none!)4 eggs, 1 cup heavy cream, 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese(Munster or Swiss) 1/2 tsp nutmeg and a few shakes of Salt and Pepper


For the cheese I have swiss. My husband prefers Muenster but I must have stared down the cheese section of my grocery store for a good ten minutes looking for it. I even looked in the expensive cheeses! My mother-in-law told me that Swiss was good too so I bought that only to discover that my husband doesn't like swiss cheese all that much. So next time if I still can't find Muenster I will just use cheddar or colby.


Directions:
Saute spinach and onion in oil for about 10 minutes. 


If you were working with fresh spinach and onions you could just skip that and cook them with the rest of the fixins.

Add chopped veggies and meat(if any), and cook for 10 minutes or until veggies are tender.


I just eyed up the veggies. Its prob way more than two cups, but I had one and a half zucchini and I knew I wasn't going to use it for anything else so I just used it all.


Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, cream, spices, and cheese.



Again, I just eyeballed the cheese. No need to be so precise all the time. 


Add veggies to cream mix and stir well. Pour into greased 9x13 in baking dish(or you can use a pie pan) and cook at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.


I let the veggies cool a bit and only added a little bit at a time so that the eggs wouldn't scramble.


Depending on your veggie to cream mix ratio, cooking times may vary. So start with 30 and add more time at your own discretion. 


Viola, the finished product. My husband enjoys it very much and he thinks a crust isn't necassary. He isn't on a low carb diet, just a eat better diet. Meanwhile I am cooking up Kraft Mac and Cheese for my dinners wondering when I should start trying to loose my baby weight. Meh, I won't worry about that too much right now.
Wonder of all wonders. We have a dishwasher. I lived a year without one and almost went insane. When we first moved into our previous place I was like, "Oh, no big deal, I will just wash things as I use them."
HAH! That did not happen.
So when we moved to our new place and it has a dishwasher I pretty much wanted to kiss it. How I have missed you and your splendifourousness!! Never again will I go without you in my life!


2 comments:

  1. Yea, you're back, it's so fun to read your blog again. Whatever you do don't use colby or cheddar, won't work. I'll fill ya in on getting munster. Hats off to the new bloggingmama

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, you're back, it's so fun to read your blog again. Whatever you do don't use colby or cheddar, won't work. I'll fill ya in on getting munster. Hats off to the new bloggingmama

    ReplyDelete